Is SPAM Fried Rice any Good?

I've always thought potted meats, meat spreads and spam were a little gross just based on their visual content.

But wouldn't you know it, my best friend DARED me to try Spam just one time!

So I agreed (cause their commercials make it look so satisfying!) and I cooked up the most delicious fried rice I've ever had!

The recipe calls for soy sauce so I chose the "lite" versions of both the soy and the Spam to keep the sodium down.

Here are the Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can Spam Lite cut into cubes
  • 1/2 can of peas
  • 3 cups cooked rice
  • 3 eggs, scrambled
  • soy sauce lite 
  • Salt, pepper, garlic powder 
How to put it together:
  1. Lightly brown the cubes in the skillet with a chopped onion & cooking oil.  Add garlic and stir-fry on medium for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
2. Cook your rice in a rice cooker or small pot and simmer until all water is gone. Add some shredded carrots in your rice and a pinch of garlic and pepper.

3. Scramble your eggs in same skillet you browned the spam for extra taste.

4. Now in the same skillet, return the spam cubes with onions, add the peas and slowly incorporate the rice and stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until heated thoroughly. Add eggs, soy sauce, ground pepper and garlic powder; mix well. Serve immediately.

It's hardy, filling and visually appealing. There's No weird aftertaste, No disgusting processed meat flavor. The onions will brown the spam nicely, and the garlic and soy sauce give it that extra yummy "asian" flavor. The peas & carrots add a nice splash of color but more importantly, the scrambled eggs tie everything together for that fantastic, satisfying taste---> you'll be pleasantly surprised!

*all posts are my original thoughts and I do not get paid by anyone to share my opinion!