Goodbyes are Heartbreaking

I met her in 2015. She was poised, alert and so beautiful in her white coat. She watched me as I came into her home and barked a few times.

She approached and sniffed me briefly as if to say she accepted my presence but kept a watchful eye on me. She made sure her daddy was ok with my being there!

She was magnificent! She was very observant and exceptionally intelligent. She was born to be a protector and a "service" dog although she never had any training. 

As I got to know her, I was surprised at the depth of her character. She knew the difference between a threat and an annoyance and she was very tolerant & patient with things she didn't like. 

She had a spunky personality and didn't mind sharing it with me once she got to know me!

Over the next 6 years we had many adventures, some of them took us as far as Michigan and Indiana! And she also trusted me enough to let me take her to my house (3 hours away) and even allowed me once to take her to the groomers!

But as all stories go, All Good Things Come to an End, and it did for my Duchess on January 6, 2021...

I've been so blessed to have known her and my life was greatly enriched by having her in my life.

She accepted me and took to me very easily and for that I'll always be grateful. I really enjoyed our special time together because she LET me do things for her like, cook special food for her and "sleeping on mommy's bed".

She was sweet, loving and easy going but she could also be quite ferocious when protecting her home and her humans. Her daddy had nicknamed her "Heavy D" not because she was large in size, but because she had a larger-than-life personality! 

Although I was her 2nd mom, she intuitively knew & accepted my own fur baby Minnie and was never hostile or hateful to my dog. She had a heart of gold and she often rewarded me with nose kisses! 


I will miss her sassy attitude, her smiling face and her big beautiful compassionate brown eyes that were so full of love. I will especially remember the hearts beaming from her eyes every time I gave her a pet or a snack! She was such a delight and a very easy dog to love.

Thank you, Duchess for your fierce love and unwavering loyalty and thank you for allowing me into your life. I will never forget you!

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡
"If love alone could have kept you here, you would have lived forever"