Dear John Letter to Advertisers - YouData Corporate Blog


YouData - Houston

BREAK UP WITH ADVERTISING!

Dear Advertiser,

It’s me, your consumer. We need to talk. Things have to change between us. We've drifted apart. I feel like our relationship is strained. Dysfunctional even. Don’t tell me you haven’t noticed.

It’s not me – it’s you. Honestly.

It’s become pretty clear that you don’t get me. Or respect me as an individual. You surely don’t respect my time. You constantly bombard me with ad after ad – most of them completely irrelevant to anything in my life. You interrupt me every chance you get. You try to dictate and monopolize my time. It’s all about you, you, you. I’m smothered AND I’m bored. Not a good combination.

You don’t respect my privacy. You gather, buy, and sell data about me behind my back. Aggregating this, algorithm-ing that. What is that about? Without my permission or knowledge, you sneak cookies on my machine to track my every move. It’s creepy. I need you to back off.

Is it any wonder that I have grown more distant? Yes, I am avoiding you. I don’t watch TV or listen to radio anymore. Or if I do, I use my DVR like Caller ID to skip right past your message. Because I don’t want to hear from you.

So, I’m spending more and more time online, where I feel more in control. Where people understand me. Where I can buy and download my movies, shows, and songs, without your relentless, irrelevant interruptions. Where I can block your pop-ups and delete your cookies. (But I’ll never forgive you for SPAM. Never.)

I think if you search yourself deep down, you will agree that our relationship has not been that great for you either. How many millions of dollars do you waste every day sending me messages that either don’t apply to me, or that I just ignore? How often do you wonder – “Am I getting through? What does my consumer think about me?” Let’s face it, you deserve better too.

We have tried it your way for a few decades now, and, I think you would agree, it’s just not working out for either of us. I don’t want to be tied down to something that isn't right for me. And you don’t want to reach out to someone not right for you.

So I’m sorry, but I just can’t go back to the way things were. That part of my life is over. I am moving on.

I have a proposition for you. Let’s try this…

I am creating a MeFile. And in that MeFile I am spelling out what I am all about and exactly what I’m looking for in an advertiser. Specifically. Authentically. Think of it like a profile for an online match-making service where I am matched up with ads about things I could actually want, care about, live with. If I am right for you, and you are right for me, you can reach me through my MeFile.

I understand your job here, and I know that you need my attention to do it. Now, I am giving you a better way to get it – directly from me. So if you want my attention, I am sure we can work something out. Just you and me.

I hope you’ll take advantage of this opportunity. Actually, I am insisting. The ball’s in your court.


Me, Your Consumer

"chryssy67"




for more info:
YouData Corporate Blog - Me is Mine™