The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children®(NCMEC) encourages people to be alert and report suspicious situations regarding missing children and children who appear to be lost.
- Get involved if you see a child who appears to be lost.
- Comfort the child but avoid physically touching him or her.
- Ask the child if he or she is lost or knows the location of his or her parent/guardian.
- Refrain from requesting too much personal information since children are taught not to give out this information to people they do not know.
- Contact law-enforcement authorities to report the incident.
- Ask other adults in the area for assistance in reporting the incident to a person in a position of authority in the area while waiting for law enforcement’s arrival.
- Remain in the immediate location, and do not take the child elsewhere. Do not place the child in your vehicle and drive to a different location to seek help.
- Wait with the child until help arrives.